The Western Pocono Women’s Club supports the following GFWC Community Service Programs: the arts, conservation of natural resources, skill improvement and education, involvement and interest in public issues and international outreach, as well as home life and women’s health issues.
- THE ARTS: By participating in the GFWC art contests, it gives members an opportunity to explore their creativity in photography, literature, and poetry. GFWC also sponsors youth writing contests, which are judged on the local, state and national levels. These contests are held every year, following GFWC rules and guidelines. The members meet monthly to share craft ideas, demonstrations, in the winter months sew Quilts for Kids and summer months work on Dresses for Haity. Art and photography presentations have been enjoyed by club members at our meetings.
- CONSERVATION: The GFWC Beautification Program encourages clubs to educate members and citizens about the importance of beautifying their communities and keeping them litter free. Our club members support local efforts to maintain gardens, parks, and other places of beauty. We have adopted and beautified the triangle between old Rte. 115 and Rte. 209 in Brodheadsville across from the Chestnuthill Diner. Financial support has been appropriated to West End Parks and Open Space Commission. We also collect can tabs for the Ronald McDonald House.
- EDUCATION: The GFWC Education Community Service Program encourages clubwomen to create learning opportunities for themselves and their communities through volunteerism. Monetary contributions are made to the Western Pocono Community Library. We sponsor two scholarships for two Pleasant Valley High School seniors, as well as, contribute to the Monroe County Federation of Women’s Club’s scholarships. Annualy the club sponsors a high school sophomore to attend HOBY (Hugh O’Brian Leadership Program) at Millersville University. Our club supports the Monroe County Federation of Women’s Club President’s Project; Cops ”n” Kids Literacy.
- HOME LIFE: The GFWC Home Life Community Service Program includes programs that acquaint members with contemporary issues facing their area and offer resources to enable clubwomen to improve their communities. The Western Pocono Women’s Club offered instruction in CPR, information about Estate Planning, Food Preservation, Identify Theft, and the Garden of Giving . Members purchase and crochet items for Angel’s Closet, a support group for families needing layettes for newborns upon leaving the Pocono Medical Center. Other ways we help our community is by preparing food baskets at Easter and financially support Meals on Wheels. Other projects the members participate in are donations to local Food Banks and the Quilts for Kids Program. Monies are also donated to local fire companies, Relay for Life, Equi-Librium, and West End Ambulance Association.
- INTERNATIONAL OUTREACH: GFWC’s International Outreach Programs allow clubs to reach beyond their own communities. Members meet monthly to clip, sort, count, and mail coupons to a military base.
- PUBLIC ISSUES: GFWC Public Issues Programs encourage members to take an active interest in safety and citizenship issues.We present safety information programs to our members. Annually we provide funds for Pleasant Valley’s Chemical Free Graduation Party. In order to booster troops’ morale, our club provides money to assist Operation Touch of Home. A military appreciation dinner is held annually to recognize our veterans and troops. Some of our members organize and coordinate this event. We also donate monies to Habitat for Humanity, Women’s Resources, our local volunteer fire companies, and the Salvation Army. Our most recent service is to Getz Personal Care Home where our members participate in a cookie social monthly.